Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Voted Early . . . but NOT Often

Last week NC Democrats got a chance to vote in a presidential primary and have it possibly make a difference. For the first time since I’ve been of age to vote I voted early. Up until this election I had never entertained the idea of voting early. But last Tuesday I had shit to do so voting on Thursday May 1st was a better option for me. It felt weird though. On the actual day of the primary I had an evil impulse - I wanted to shake things up a bit and see if all the polling site volunteers’ training had paid off. I wanted to go in and have this conversation with one of them . . .

Me: Um . . . yeah . . . so I’m here to vote. [Give name, address, etc.]

Volunteer: Says here you voted on Thursday May 1st.

Me: Yeah I know. That was “early” voting. I’m here for “day of” voting.
[and yes I would make quotes with my fingers in both instances]

Vol: You can’t vote more than once.

Me: Why not?

V-teer: You’re only allowed to vote one time in an election.

Me: But why?

Veer: That’s just the law.

Me: But on like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars and crap shows like that I can vote for some rhinestone spangle-fringe wannabe star wanting to ballroom dance and resuscitate their career. I can take cues from a panel of idiots that tell me which singer was the best and had the best pitch and vote for the next pop star to move a few units of their crap debut album taking a record deal away from the thousands of other artists out there that are much more deserving. And I can vote for those types of idiots like a gajillion times. I know they charge like a texting fee – whatever that is – but damn I’ve got five bucks. How many votes will that get me?

V: I’m going to have to ask you to leave . . .

Me: Can I at least get one of those stickers that say “I Voted”? I only have this “I Voted Early” one . . . it just doesn’t look right.

That would have been an enjoyable conversation. Oh well. I’ll also go ahead and say that I voted for Obama. For me he seems like the best choice. While I realize that Reverend Wright and his remarks are creating a constant stir, how quickly we all forget that not too long ago Bill Clinton was creating his own hysteria with his own ill chosen words. And James Carville, one of the Clinton’s most valued friends; someone they have turned to over the years for advice throughout many stages of their lives – not unlike a pastor – has said some crazy shit throughout the years. I never thought that I’d NOT vote for a Clinton or someone in the Clinton family when given the opportunity, but to me they’ve just put out such a strong message that Hillary is entitled to the presidency. So the bottom line is Bill, Reverend Wright, James Carville, etc. all need to drink “a big ol’ cup of shut the hell up” and move on. Maybe the three of them could star in their own sitcom – The Sound of White Friends Clapping. I’ll work on the title.

No comments: